Monday, January 14, 2008

Too much fun...

We chose to get the girls a digital microscope for their shared Christmas present this year and luckily it arrived (Ebay purchase) in the nick of time.

We played with it a week or two ago, and I never posted about it, but I (and hopefully the girls too) had a great time playing with it.
We first sent the girls off to find a few treasures from around the house and took some time playing with the focus and switches from the 10x to 60x to 200x levels to increase our comfort level. (It has been a long time!)
Then we had a close look at some of Aislinn and Tara's treasured rocks from their collections, and once mastered, moved on to the treasured but bedraggled butterfly carcass Aislinn has kept since our trip to a local butterfly naturium with Aunt Pam in the summer. The butterfly is in about 5 pieces after meeting up with some rough attention, but we did manage to zoom in on this great feature, and the girls were sufficiently astounded! Just what I had been hoping for - the amazing new experience of encountering the world from a whole new viewpoint. I myself have never seen a butterfly's kneecap captured for use to return to time and time again at the click of a button. As quite a large fan of technology - these aspects anyway, I find it so mind boggling to return to my own experience of microscopes in grade ten biology, and realize, that at 3 and 4, my girls have already surpassed the freedom of wonder afforded by being given the opportunity to view their latest treasure in 3 new levels of discovery at home then I had at age 14.

We have barely scratched the surface of what the digital blue QX5 can do, but I am pleased that it will be there ready and waiting for our imaginations to put it to use!

No comments: