Saturday, September 15, 2007

Our true colours...

I just spent a few minutes browsing over my past blog posts and it all looks so... relaxed and productive. And I feel at this point that I must set things straight. There are many moments in our day that are fun, involved and momentous, but so, so many others that are not.
Now that Tara's vocabulary has caught up to Aislinn's in a lot of ways, the bickering between them has come out in full force.
Never have I heard so many "Your not my mother" comments as in the past 3 days. "Tara put toothpaste on her toothbrush before I did!", "Aislinn keeps throwing her stuff in my room!", "I wanted to go pee first!" Seriously, these comments and so many others follow us through out the day, and my patience varies in almost laughable amounts. At one moment, I will sit and chat and divert attention until we have solved the problem, the next moment I will inform them they must work it out between themselves, the next I will chuckle at the ridiculousness of it all, the next raise my voice or shed a few tears.
Since Aislinn was born, I have never felt so emotionally drained.

Both the girls were exceptionally easy babies - sleeping through the night at 6 weeks, crying only when in need, happy-go-lucky toddlers, tantrum free two year olds (for the most part). But 3 seems to be a whole new thing! Our most challenging year by far with Aislinn, and Tara seems to be following in her footsteps.

I continue everyday to enjoy the wonderful moments that spending your entire day with your children ultimately bring, and struggle to work through the new challenges that arise.
I just wanted my blog to show our true colours - many bright and beautiful, and many tinged with gray! :)


-No matter how calmly you try to referee, parenting will eventually produce bizarre behavior, and I’m not talking about the kids. Their behavior is always normal. - Bill Cosby


-From their struggles to establish dominance over each other, siblings become tougher and more resilient. From their endless rough-housing with each other, they develop speed and agility. From their verbal sparring they learn the difference between being clever and being hurtful. From the normal irritations of living together, they learn how to assert themselves, defend themselves, compromise. And sometimes, from their envy of each other’s special abilities they become inspired to work harder, persist and achieve. - Adele Faber, Elaine Mazlish

No comments: