Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Apple Loaf

So I have been wanting to find a nice moist apple loaf recipe as it is the one fruit I always have on hand.
I grabbed this online and after reading through many of the reviews decided to make some alterations. I realized as I started making it that I only had whole wheat flour on hand, so I started there. I also wanted to make a double batch as I was in charge of snacks for Aislinn's Sparks meeting tonight. I only had 3 eggs in the house - not 4, so I added a 1/2 cup of veg. oil instead.
I also added an extra cup of shredded apple, a heaping tsp of cinnamon and a tsp of pumpkin pie spice (had on hand). Before baking I also sprinkled a light mix of rolled oats and brown sugar on top just for fun.

So, all in all, it did remain slightly on the dry side, but the flavour was good. Next attempt will be 1 cup shredded apple, 1 cup chopped apple (I like larger chunks), another egg + the oil, 1/2 and 1/2 whole wheat flour and all-purpose, and maybe a 1/2 cup of applesauce as well!! I don't think I can graduate it to my all-time favorite recipes yet, but with a bit more effort, it does have potential!
Normally the girls always bake with me, but I like to try new recipes once myself first --the girls were happily entrenched in computer games which gave me the few moments I needed! :)

No comments: