Sunday, March 23, 2008

Family Tree


We had the opportunity to join in with our close friends and their idea to explore their family tree. We started the day with a short chat about family tree's using Dora's family as an example of how generations work, and how we get some of our genes from our parents and grandparents including eye colour, hair colour, but also things that we like and dislike.

We then shared lunch together, and headed out for a walk through the woods to collect dogwood branches to use in creating our own family trees.

The kids worked in family groups to create their tree and glue in the appropriate names. We enjoyed seeing names repeated through the generations, and chatted about which family members were still living that we knew personally, and which had passed away, including both my grandfathers, who learned that Aislinn was growing in my tummy, but had never had the chance to meet her.

I thought our tree turned out fabulously, and I think will be a great reference point for future exploration.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Hi Kerry
There are 2 books my kids have liked about geneaology. One is in the library: Who's who in my family by Loreen Leedy and Me and My Family Tree by Joan Sweeney which we have but I don't think the library does. I can dig it out for you if are doing some follow up.
The first chapter of Story of the World volume 1 has some nice activities and ideas for doing a personal timeline which might gel nicely with a family tree.
K