Monday, February 11, 2008

A gift for a friend...

Someone asked me around Christmas time whether I am the type of person who puts a lot of importance in gift giving, and at the time I answered no. But with more reflection, I have changed my mind, and I believe I am. I love the feeling of searching out a perfect gift for the amazing people in our lives.
It may not always be the perfect gift, but I feel that if I and now we (as the girls and I navigate our gift giving together) have really tried to consider the gift and the receiver, then we have invested a great amount of love into the gift.

And just this year, I feel like we are surrounded by so many people we truly love and care for, that are gift giving has stepped up a notch as well.
One little girl in our lives means an amazing amount to my girls and myself and as her birthday recently passed the girls and I worked on a gift for her. It may not have been a "perfect gift", but we tried to fill it with love.

I am starting to understand now why so many of the blogs I read have invested so much effort into make it yourself gifts for their families - as it truly gives a part of you with it.
It looked like so much time and effort at first but I now realize that that is exactly what it is that makes it so special.

I think as a family, we are going to put more time and effort into showing the people around us how much we love them!

(And thanks to my back-up! Mom, I could never make all the crazy ideas in my head happen without you!) :)

The manner of giving is worth more than the gift. ~Pierre Corneille, Le Menteur

No comments: