Monday, February 11, 2008

Brain, lungs, intestines...

how can they resist?

My kids love nothing more than sharing information about how their bodies function and how they are similar or different to those around them (Sometimes louder than I would prefer!)
This is why I was so excited to lead the "Anatomy" theme for our early learners group. I really felt comfortable going through all the information with the kids, and enjoyed them coming forward to investigate the hands on aspects of our day. I actually enjoyed the labour intesive prep purely because I was also learning so much and I was really excited to give the kids a way to revisit their experience. (Thanks for the extra hands Bonnie!) And quite frankly, there is no way I would have thought to prepare these things without the motivation of the group.





Lungs and diaphram expirement (above). Waste through the intestines (left).
I always feel at the end of our session that somehow I should have said more, done more, but I hope they all left with a greater understanding of how amazing they are and how exciting figuring out their bodies can be!
I also feel really justified when Aislinn and Tara take the time, even with their friends still over, to pop onto the couch and investigate a great resource all on their own. It emphasizes just how comfortable they are with learning as a part of their day to day activities.

Yet this is health: To have a body functioning so perfectly that when its few simple needs are met it never calls attention to its own existence. ~Bertha Stuart Dyment

Why do we alienate ourselves so much from our bodies? It's that big piece of machinery attached to your head. ~Carrie Latet

I love the body. Flesh is so honest, and organs do not lie. ~Candea Core-Starke

No comments: