Tuesday, January 19, 2010

new discoveries...

As the new year approached and I did a mental look back over 2009, I realized that we had slowed down a lot on our scientific exploration; something the girls really seem to take to. I had found a new science kit from the same series as our weather kit, and picked it up for the girls for Christmas. I really feel you get your money's worth out of these kits ($10!)



We started by doing a few experiements with static electricity, and I worked with Tara, while Jeff played with circuits with Aislinn. All simple, but highly effective tests!






Then yesterday, we had friends with us for the day, so I gave them the kit, and let them explore further into the circuit experiments, just offering guidance when needed. They managed simple circuits, parallel circuits, switches, and double switch circuits. A couple flicks of the kitchen light switch drove the theories home, and another page in the science binder should help bring it to mind again and again. Next up is burglar alarms, motors, compass' and clocks!







No comments: