Monday, September 21, 2009

What we are reading right now

We are currently reading this book (halfway) as a read aloud before bed. It is by far the hardest book we have tried so far, with lots and lots of descriptive language and new vocabulary.
It is a bit slow going as we often pause to chat about the characters, and give explanations of the new words we are encountering, but right now we are hooked!

The story itself has an interesting plot line, and the descriptions in the book offer enough detail that the girls get the general gist even if they don't understand every word.

I have also promised the girls that we will watch the movie when we are done, but at this point I am thinking it won't get close to doing justice to the images the words leave in our heads.

But, that will be a discussion in itself I suppose...

I will give a movie review after we have watched it.

1 comment:

gardening gal said...

there is a movie!
wow!
this is one of my childhood favorites, and i have read it to the kids a few times because of that. they have loved it.
I am always nervous about a movie when i have loved the book. A few of them meet my expecations but most don't. I would love to hear how it is if you end of watching it.
I hope your fall is going well!